Dried mango powder is a spice made by grinding dried mango. The powder preserves the acidic, tart and spicy flavour of unripe mangoes. Preparing Dried mango powder at home is easy. Peel and slice the unripe mangoes in thin stripes. Rub them with powdered turmeric to avoid the pest attack. Dry them in sun for 5-6 days. Once they are dry, grind them in mixer into a fine powder.
How to select
Dried mango powder is available in market under various brand names. Aamchur is fibrous in texture and beige in colour. Ensure the packet is properly sealed and check the packaging details. For preparing dried mango powder at home, select unripe mangoes. The skin should be firm and avoid the mangoes that are about to mature.
- Aamchur is commonly used for flavouring curries, chutneys, soups, marinades and as a condiment.
- It enhances the taste of chicken and fish dishes.
- It is a souring agent like tamarind and has tenderizing qualities like lime juice.
- Aamchur can be used instead of tamarind to prepare sweet-sour dal or sambhar.
- It can also be used to marinate chicken, meat, fish and pork.
- Aamchur is used to flavour kebabs, seekhs, grilled chicken, baked fish and all barbecue items.
- It is also used to add flavour too dum aloo (potato preparation) and biryani( rice mixed with vegetable or chicken or meat).
- Dried mango powder has high iron content, so pregnant women and people suffering from anemia are advised to consume it regularly.
- It combats acidity and improves digestion.
- It is a fair source of Vitamin A and Vitamin E which helps hormonal system function efficiently.
How to store
Keep dried mango powder in air-tight container, away from moisture in cool place.